Re: DVD that other computers can't play

From: Pierre Abbat <phma@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 21:02:02 -0500

On Sunday 07 February 2010 15:32:49 Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
> 	Nasty - I thought that problem was fixed some time ago, I haven't
> seen it recently. A workaround is to use natacontrol to turn off DMA on the
> drive like this:
>
> natacontrol mode acd0 pio4

This works, but the drive makes a wishwash noise and cannot keep up with vlc.
The guy who gave me the laptop said that he had similar problems with DVDs in
Linux, which he got around with hdparm, so it may be a hardware, not OS, bug.
vlc loads up a minute or so in its buffer, plays it, then pauses when the
buffer is empty until the buffer is full. I'm going to copy it to the hard
disk as Steve suggested, then bring the laptop to church.

Pierre

--
I believe in Yellow when I'm in Sweden and in Black when I'm in Wales.