Re: DVD that other computers can't play

From: "Steve O'Hara-Smith" <steve@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 02:56:54 +0000

On Sat, 6 Feb 2010 15:39:39 -0500
Pierre Abbat <phma@phma.optus.nu> wrote:

> I have a DVD that I and other people have tried to play on Windows boxen
> without success, but which does play on a dedicated DVD player. I can
> mount it on the DragonFly box. Is there a way to play such a disk on
> DragonFly?

	Try vlc (it's in pkgsrc/multimedia) I've not seen many it can't
cope with. For the few it can't cope with use ddrescue (pkgsrc/sysutiils)
to clone it to the hard disc without the (deliberate) bad sectors with
something like:

ddrescue -b 2048 /dev/cd0 dvd.iso

	Then vlc or mplayer should have no trouble playing the resultant
iso.

C:>WIN                                      | A better way to focus the sun