Re: optional or suggested dependencies

From: Pierre Abbat <phma@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 09:59:15 -0500

On Monday 14 December 2009 09:33:19 justin@shiningsilence.com wrote:
> There are options to pkgsrc packages, when building from source, that can
> bring in optional features.  'bmake show-options' will list any that
> apply, plus it will print out the options when first building.  The
> "Building Packages" section here mentions it:
>
> http://www.dragonflybsd.org/docs/howtos/HowToPkgsrc/
>
> The pkg-message file in each directory is also printed after install, so
> if there's any hints for other packages, they will be listed there.
>
> I've also noticed that many of the linux packaging systems split up
> applications into different parts, with a -doc version for documentation
> and a -devel version for headers, etc.  I haven't seen that with pkgsrc,
> which makes me happy.

I don't think that's what I mean. I am trying to install mutt, which is ltp's
preferred email sending program. The direct dependencies for mutt 1.5 are
	perl>=5.0
	libvorbis>=1.1.0nb1
	libmpcdec>=1.2.6
	libmad>=0.15.1bnb1
	libid3tag>=0.15.1bnb1
	libaudiofile>=0.2.6nb1
	libao>=0.8.6nb3
	libao-[a-z]*-[0-9]*
	glib2>=2.14.3
	gettext-lib>=0.14.5
	flac>=1.1.3nb1
	faad2>=2.6.1
	curl>=7.17.1nb1.
kdelibs4 is a recursive dependency, and I already know I can't install it
because of the convertlit problem. I can see why libvorbis would be a useful
addition to mutt (someone sends you a Vorbis file and you want to play it),
but I don't see why it should be *required*. So I'd call it an optional
dependency.

Pierre

--
When a barnacle settles down, its brain disintegrates.
Já não percebe nada, já não percebe nada.