Re: Updating USB stack from FBSD 8.x and others

From: justin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 09:55:18 -0500

> Matt,
> Hows it going with getting the non-profit status for DragonFly? It'd be
> great if any financial contributions would also be tax deductable.

I was looking at doing this a while ago, though I put it off because of
job searching.  I'll see if I can start again after the holidays.  We do
have some small funds built up from what mentors have kindly donated from
Summer of Code work, for legal fees.

I don't know if non-profit would help us here - people would have to pay
money to the non-profit entity, which would then hire someone (Alexander)
to do the work.  Once money gets involved with an official organization,
the processes have to be very clear and very fair.  We'd probably need to
move to a grant application process like what the FreeBSD Foundation does
now.

We're fine with this informal volunteer process we have now, as a way to
move money between individuals.  I've seen open source non-profits end up
with problems because money gets awarded to individual developers in a
not-too-clear way and other developers get hurt, emotionally and
financially.