re: 2.4 install / xorgconfig

From: Tiv <gtivey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 20:45:52 -0500

Hi all ---

Having recently installed DragonFlyBSD version 2.2.1 two weeks ago, i opted to re-install 2.4 instead of upgrading on an older laptop. Well the GOTHCHA here is that DragonFly_2.4's Xorg no longer includes the 'xorgconfig' utility.

I probably missed any notifications about xorgconfig being omitted from the current Xorg 7.5, but I think it would be useful to give the user the option of installing (the) previous version of Xorg which has the xorgconfig utility.
There are so many older hardware configurations that don't get detected right by using Xorg -configure....I just can't understand what the Xorg folks were thinking when they abandoned xorgconfig.

It's been a long, long time since I've edited an xorg.conf by hand, and I frankly was never much good at it... It could save plenty of agony if we warn/inform those moving to the new 2.4 environs.

best regards, Gary Tivey gtivey@sbcglobal.net Austin, TX USA