Re: Experimental pkgsrc GIT repo for DragonFly users

To: Alex Hornung <ahornung@xxxxxxxxx>
From: Sascha Wildner <saw@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 18:37:01 +0200

Alex Hornung schrieb:
While the idea of having a git mirror of pkgsrc is nice, I totally disagree
with the idea of using it for local modifications.
If we do that, we can just call it a fork directly and no need to call it
pkgsrc anymore.

Also, the solution to getting stuff working isn't keeping local
modifications, but rather submitting the modifications to pkgsrc and even
better, upstream, to the developers of the software themselves. I can
already see how people get eager to fix stuff, put it in our own
pkgsrc-branch, but completely forget about getting it fixed where it should
be fixed, upstream and the real pkgsrc.

While I understand it may take some time until these fixes reach pkgsrc, I
think this is the (only) way to go about it. Also, I'm not familiar with how
NetBSD takes care of pkgsrc, but I'm sure it could be possible to get some
commit access to pkgsrc for someone of us and add our own patches when
needed. This would significantly reduce the waiting time. Anyone with some
experience with NetBSD <-> pkgsrc care to comment?

Sincerely, Alex Hornung

I concur with Alex' opinion.

Sascha

--