Re: Hammer question about pruning

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 08:24:57 -0700 (PDT)

:Hi all,
:
:Im thinking about deploying DragonFly as a storage server. Company I work
:for needs fine snapshot/versioning granularity and I think Hammer would be
:good for that. The situation is like this: they want daily snapshots, but
:they want to keep every modification of files/databases since the last
:snapshot for at least 3 days. Is this as easy as configuring the pruning
:in hammer cleanup to 3d? Should reblocking still be done daily or also
:every 3 days?
:
:Thanks,
:
:Petr

    The pruning system currently throws away fine-grained history
    beyond the first snapshot.  BUT, I actually reserved a field in the
    PFS structure to set the minimum fine-grained history retention.  I
    just haven't added any code to use the field.

    I think what you are requesting is desireable, and it will not take
    much time for me to code it up.  I will implement the feature today.

    As with other hammer features, the idea is to be able to run a
    prune, rebalance, or reblocking operation at any time.  The timing
    of when you run these operations is not supposed to effect the retention
    policy.  That will still be the case.

					<dillon@backplane.com>