Re: GHC on DragonFly?

From: "G.Isenmann" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 17:27:08 +0200

On Sat, 16 May 2009 19:09:06 +0100
Colin Adams <colinpauladams@googlemail.com> wrote:

> I think someone was making an attempt to port ghc (Glasgow Haskell
> Compiler) to DragonFly. Has this been succesfull?

Neither lang/ghc (6.8.3) nor wip/ghc (6.10.1) build without changes.

I started with wip/ghc and made the build process believe that the
build was on and for freebsd4. That gave me something good enought as a
bootstrap compiler. Wasn't able to build a ghc package, and while
building some packages with cabal I got error messages like "not
possible with a stage 1 compiler".

Next I used this compiler (without pkgsrc and netbsd bootstrap
compiler) to build the next version. This time I checked the sources
for anything freebsd specific and modified those places to do the
same for dragonfly.

There is at least one open problem with rts/Linker.c
http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/mailarchive/users/2009-04/msg00030.html
This prevents the use of ghci and the build of e.g. yi.

Not much done since. At the moment I am happy with a working darcs and
xmonad. I have looked a few times into the binutils and ghc sources,
but still do not understand much about this (tls) stuff.
--
Goetz