Re: 1 week until Summer of Code application time

From: "Simon 'corecode' Schubert" <corecode@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2009 16:25:07 +0100

Justin C. Sherrill wrote:
On Thu, March 5, 2009 1:36 am, Archimedes Gaviola wrote:
Hi Justin,

Just want to suggest and share this idea (without mentoring) about
virtual routing based on this link here
http://www.ipinfusion.com/pdf/VirtualRouting_app-note_3rev0302.pdf.
Although I'm not so sure if this is already implemented in the
project, so just correct me if I'm wrong. Basically, virtual routing
is a concept of emulating multiple instances of routing tables (RIB
and FIB) intended for running multi-independent network services.

This sounds like work separating out the routing table between jails, or perhaps vkernels. I may be naive, however. Write this out on: http://www.dragonflybsd.org/gsoc2009/ as a potential project; there doesn't have to be a mentor attached to an idea. (not yet, anyway.)

I don't really see the benefit in this. Either you combine forwarding tables into one table, or you... well, that's actually it. I guess the larger part is more on a control plane level than on a data plane level, so that would more be a xorp project, I guess. I might also miss the point completely.

cheers
 simon