Re: Hammer question

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 18:58:23 -0800 (PST)

:I am very intrigued with the HAMMER filesystem. I am a heavy Linux
:user and at work we use Linux exclusively.  I was curious how hammer
:manages dynamic inodes. On ext3 we pre create inodes which is a fixed
:amount.  How is hammer doing this?
:
:Sorry if this is a newbie question. I asked the same question on ext3
:list and no response there.
:
:TIA

    Inodes in HAMMER are entries in the B-Tree.  They are created and
    destroyed dynamically.  Inode numbers are 64 bit quantities (well,
    actually 2^63 bits... the positive 64 bit integer space only).

    Inode numbers in HAMMER cannot be reused for the life of the
    filesystem.  This allows HAMMER to track mirroring (and ultimately
    cluster) operations regardless of how long mirroring targets are
    offline.

					<dillon@backplane.com>