Re: New instructions for using git to track the DragonFly repo

From: "Simon 'corecode' Schubert" <corecode@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 21:35:19 +0100

Matthew Dillon wrote:
    The repo has not changed but I've found a simpler set of instructions
    for checking out and managing it.   I did split a few steps to make
    them more obvious.  I am avoiding the use of git-clone because it hides
    too much of what goes on under the hood.

Of course, for users who don't want to understand what is going on under the hood, and only intend to update their sources, the best way of doing so is:

cd /usr && make git-clone

and later

cd /usr && make git-update

	# Create your new source dir
	#
	mkdir -p /usr/src
	cd /usr/src
	git init
	git remote add chlamydia git://chlamydia.fs.ei.tum.de/dragonfly.git
	git remote add crater git://crater.dragonflybsd.org/dragonfly.git

I do not really advise doing the git init game. Just do a

cd /usr
git clone git://chlamydia.fs.ei.tum.de/dragonfly.git src

Also, if you want to avoid stalls due to low bandwidth from crater, simply stick to another mirror. They all update every minute, so there is really nothing to lose.

cheers
  simon

--
  <3 the future  +++  RENT this banner advert  +++   ASCII Ribbon   /"\
  rock the past  +++  space for low €€€ NOW!1  +++     Campaign     \ /