Re: RAID 1 or Hammer

From: Jasse Jansson <jasse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 09:35:33 +0100

On Jan 13, 2009, at 2:26 AM, Dmitri Nikulin wrote:

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 9:20 AM, Simon 'corecode' Schubert
<corecode@fs.ei.tum.de> wrote:
You're assuming fail-stop errors.  If it is a sneaking bit error or
something else, it won't notice.

Ever since ZFS was announced I've wondered how often this actually happens. So far I've only heard of one anecdote of silent readable corruption which was caused by a faulty power supply.

ZFS seems to be pretty good at finding faulty RAM chips, according to stories told on some Solaris mail lists.

Kaiser Jasse -- Authorized Stealth Oracle

The axioms of wisdom:
1. Go the SPARC way of life
2. You can't conquer the universe without the knowledge of FORTRAN
3. In the Unix realm, 10% of work fixes 90% of the problems