Re: My personal pkgsrc FAQ

From: "Justin C. Sherrill" <justin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 09:15:38 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, December 18, 2008 2:16 am, Robert Luciani wrote:

> The advantage of using a vkernel (or at least keeping your chroot around
> for a long while) is that it allows you to keep rebuilding packages
> that were tagged with vulnerabilities, from the same environment, for
> the entire lifespan of the package set. Otherwise, security
> updates render a stable package set obsolete very quickly. This was
> also why I mentioned pkg_chk and that it needs to be fixed. Because
> now, updating packages is so arduous that people just leave firefox-3
> as an old version even though it might have multiple security problems.

I'd say stick with a chroot; it'll accomplish the same thing without the
overhead.  I suppose trying and timing both strategies with the same
pkgsrc release would provide an interesting benchmark on just how much
overhead the virtualized kernel introduces...

> I think the versioning of the /All redirection is a fine idea if anyone
> wants to implement it but since pkg_radd uses PKG_PATH we don't
> really _need_ to change anything in the mirroring scripts except
> maybe agree on an "official" directory layout. So a person wanting to
> use the current packages can just manually set PKG_PATH to
> packages/current.

I was thinking we could default to whatever the current installed version
of DragonFly happened to be, and then people who wanted current (or
something else) could manually set it.