Porting network protocol from NetBSD

From: "Archimedes Gaviola" <archimedes.gaviola@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 19:32:13 +0800

Hi,

I want to port a network protocol implemented on NetBSD to DragonFly
2.0. Since I am new to this systems engineering work particularly
source code porting at the kernel/network level so I need your ideas
and inputs about this matter. I need to know what considerations do I
need to take in order to effectively
and efficiently do the porting? Initially, while reviewing the source
code, I have found out that some portions of the NetBSD codes are
using splsoftnet()/splx(s) functions while with DragonFly AFAIK uses
critical sections crit_enter()/crit_exit() functions. Aside from that,
some part of this network code is using kernel malloc() whereas I
haven't found kernel malloc() in DragonFly but only memory slab
allocator as its replacement. From here, there might be more other
things that I need to know about porting. So, your inputs and ideas
are highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Archimedes