Re: liveDVD

To: Max Herrgaard <herrgaard@xxxxxxxxx>
From: Louisa Luciani <lolaluci@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2008 20:13:59 +0200

Max Herrgaard wrote:
Matthew Dillon skrev:
I got the DVD burned and it booted up just fine with the default UP
kernel on my test box! I was able to boot it from my external USB DVD
drive as well, which is saying something.

    I wasn't able to test the install because I am still testing some
    other stuff on the box in question, so I can't overwrite my HD just
    yet, but it went right into X and the graphical UI.  I was able to
    dhclient-up my network and play around with firefox.

This is very cool stuff! I'm wondering how much interest Louisa has
in continuing to polish it up and add even more packages and UI options,
some automatic network setup, etc, for our end-of-year 2.2 release!
It's ok if you don't have time. If not I'll open it up to all the
developers once Sascha commits the work.

-Matt

The install still needs some polishing. I think something like etc.hdd from the live cd should be used. I guess right now everything is just copied. This means you have to do some manual cleaning in /etc at first boot, remove /etc/issue, remove livedvd-specific settings in rc.conf, touch syslogd's files in /var/log, etc etc.

About the boot loader installed. I don't think we should include boot options for SMP/NOAPIC kernels since they aren't installed to hdd.

This is just some minor issues with the install I guess... The live environment on the other hand is really good, thanks Louisa!

-Max

Thanks for the kind words! If I may I would definitely like to continue submitting improvements, although since I don't know yet how much schoolwork I'll have, I don't want to prevent anyone else from working on the DVD. I'll be actively following and contributing with what I can :)

--
Louisa Luciani
www.lolaluci.se/lolaluci@gmail.com.asc