Re: zipped ISO in addition to gz?

From: "Justin C. Sherrill" <justin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 14:25:27 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, August 7, 2008 12:25 pm, Matthew Dillon wrote:

> :Would there be any objection to having zipped versions of our ISOs?  The
> :file size wouldn't change much.

>     I see the reasoning but I don't like the idea of the multiplication of
>     space used for N different compressed versions of the ISOs.
>
>     It may be easier just to provide a pointer on the download page
>     to windoz programs capable of decompressing the .gz.

Zip will decompress automatically on Windows.  There's no other N number
of formats to add.

Here's another way to put this: If someone downloads a FreeBSD, NetBSD,
Fedora, Ubuntu, or Debian ISO image, they don't need to download a
separate program from a different website just to unlock it.  In that
light, is the 120M saved so important?