Re: Hammer on my laptop

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 09:33:08 -0700 (PDT)

:about a week ago I got a new 250GB disk for my laptop and reinstalled
:it with a huge hammer partition for /usr and /home.
:Until now I didn't have any issues. It just works fine.
:And the new features that hammer offers are great!
:A ufs file system check would have taken ages on a 200GB partition.
:And the history retention feature is pretty addictive. Once you get used
:to it you will probabely no longer feel safe on a normal file system :-)
:I haven't started looking into the mirroring stuff but I can imagine
:that this will simplify my backups a lot.

    I'm totally addicted, though again I caution: make regular backups.

    In fact, I recommend just using cpdup over NFS to another machine
    running HAMMER for your backups.  That's what I do.  You don't actually
    have to use the mirroring feature, and in fact it is safer not to
    (since mirroring and PFSs were the last feature added before the
    release).

:Cheers,
:Johannes
:
:PS: Hammer development should be sponsored by harddisk manufacturers!

    Heh. If we were more popular they'd go for it.  A filesystem which
    actually utilizes all available disk space :)

					<dillon@backplane.com>