cvs trouble

From: Thomas Nikolajsen <thomas.nikolajsen@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 21:04:53 +0200

I had some trouble trying to track down when traceroute stopped working:
(hasso just commited fix ;-)

My plan was to use vkernel to find the date it stopped working:
Checking out full sources for given date and building and installing world and VKERNEL.

But it failed: using cvs checkout, sources checked out w/ -D2008-06-07 fails buildworld.
It turns out reason is that checked out src/contrib/libarchive-2/libarchive/archive.h.in is "wrong" version:
It is revision 1.2, but newer revision in vendor branch 1.1.1.X exists (the "right" one ;-).
(reason seems to be that handling vendor branches is difficult for most of us)
This seems to be as advetised:
cvs checkout -D is documented to give latest revision, checked out to given date.

cvs checkout without -D does get "right" (ie latest) file revision (1.3 dead in this case).

Can cvs checkout the "right" file version for given date (same as checkout (without -D) on date)?

 -thomas