DragonFly users List (threaded) for 2008-06
Re: New site design
I'm not sure if anyone is going to see this reply (considering how late
it is), but I'd like to mention a few things to address the
comments/concerns of others here.
Firstly it should be mentioned that I had expected to have more time to
work on this (originally), but I started work two weeks early and ran
out of time -- presently I spend all my time working... so there's not
much I can do in the way of changes, but I will give my opinion and
reasoning for how I arrived at what I created.
I had a few simple goals:
1. Fast loading - the old page was really slow on dialup, and yes,
there are still some of us who are stuck on dialup from time to time.
2. Simplify the presentation & navigation so that the majority of
visitors could find what they were most likely to want (eg: download
link)... the new site isn't perfect, but the old site was really
cluttered, and there were a lot of links that went to small amounts of
3. Change the colours/graphics, as I felt they made the site look like
a nature conservation group.
4. Small evolutionary changes, nothing too radical.
5. Move some content (and mostly dynamic content) to the wiki. This is
a good idea in principle, but I must say that moinmoin is not very
userfriendly and is a pain in the ass to learn/use. Kind of ironic that
pure html in vi and an ftp client would be 100 times easier and more
intuitive for content changes.
I'll now reply to select comments individually.