Re: GSoC: LiveCD

From: Jasse Jansson <jasse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 20:54:07 +0200

On Jun 2, 2008, at 8:20 PM, Justin C. Sherrill wrote:

On Mon, June 2, 2008 6:34 am, Louisa Luciani wrote:

Perhaps we can begin by discussing the desktop environment/window
manager (Everyone who has emailed me so far has a different opinion on
this). e.g. What are your experiences? Do we want more qt or gtk programs?

I don't want to drown the user in choices; the whole reason for a Live
disk like this is to let the user get started doing stuff, and not have to
take time picking window managers and other programs.

The wm should be as small as possible for faster load times. Blackbox or any other small wm will be fine.

Don't forget that it runs from a CD/DVD disk, and these are hopelessly slow,
especially when it comes to loading applications from them.

Kaiser Jasse -- Authorized Stealth Oracle

The axioms of wisdom:
1. Go the SPARC way of life
2. You can't conquer the universe without the knowledge of FORTRAN
3. In the Unix realm, 10% of work fixes 90% of the problems