Re: GSoC: LiveCD

From: VOROSKOI Andras <voroskoi@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 16:45:31 +0200

On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 04:13:11PM +0200, Robert Luciani wrote:
> I think using Gnome would be better than KDE.
>
> Firstly, all popular apps use gtk+ like: Firefox, Thunderbird,
> OpenOffice, Pidgin, Xchat, Wireshark, gvim, Ekiga, F-Spot, Gimp, and
> much more.

Well, these depends on gtk+2, not gnome. It's quite obvious that you can
not live without gtk. I mean I can hardly imagine any desktop machine
without gtk.

> Secondly, (if we had a compatible HAL) gnome has a lot nicer services
> like NetworkManager, gvfs (volume-manager), power-manager,
> bluetooth-manager and more.

OK, I'm not too familiar with these.

> Lastly, KDE is oftentimes quite ugly and has way too many buttons.

I could argue on that, but as I prefer the lightweight things it does
not really affects me.
Anyway choose the one you use more often, so you will know how things
should work and probably also how to fix the bugs popping up.

> In so far as simple window-managers are concerned, there are are newer
> cooler ones that "good 'ol" blackbox and ratpoison, such as:
> wm/awesome (lightweight) and wip/e17 (almost lightweight).

Awesome is good with a proper config file. I only tried once.

As for e17: I would not use it. I'm the e17 maintainer in frugalware and
e17 is alpha, maximum beta. So it's just not ready. And there are not
much apps written for EFL, so it just does not worth the work. Just my
0.02.

> My vote is on one "big one": meta-pkgs/gnome
> and one "small one": wm/awesome

Well, it's your call. Whatever you choose is good for me.

--
voroskoi