Re: Java 2 status

From: Hasso Tepper <hasso@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 09:16:32 +0300

Matthew Dillon wrote:
> :What's the status of Java 2 on DragonFly? Anyone tried recently to
> : build Java from sources? Binaries available? Or is Linux emu the only
> : way? Which version? etc ...
> :--
> :Hasso Tepper
>
>     I haven't tried.  I did hear recently that Sun said something about
>     opening up Java for real, hopefully that will result in easier
> portage.

I think that opening Java for real has nothing to do with it ;). Whether
it's completely open or not, it's only distribution issue AFAIK - how you
are allowed to distribute you modifications and binaries.

http://www.eyesbeyond.com/freebsddom/java/index.html exists quite a long
time already.

The real issue (as always) is whether someone did/will do some real work
to get Java working on DragonFly? Whatever license is, it doesn't give us
human resources ;)

--
Hasso Tepper