Re: Ruby crash on DragonFly

To: Petr Janda <elekktretterr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Michael Neumann <mneumann@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 02:53:52 +0200

Petr Janda wrote:
Ok, How strange. I get a different error now:

Core was generated by `ruby18'.
Program terminated with signal 4, Illegal instruction.
#0  0x2809a251 in rb_eval (self=701276060, n=0x29cfd9dc) at eval.c:2927

warning: Source file is more recent than executable.
2927    {

What's going on here? Updating all the ruby packages to the latest of 2007Q4 makes no difference.

Ive also upgraded from DF 1.8 to 1.12 yesterday.

Have you a system other that DragonFly where you can test it? So we can see whether it's DragonFly specific or not.

I got something similar when I tried to compile a Ruby extension with -pthread (see below). Maybe the same happens in your case.

Can you give the compilation output of your extension (ldap)?

The following is a mail to the FreeBSD maintainer of ruby18:

---
I don't know why, but my application raises an illegal instruction (signal 4) exception if it is linked with -pthread.
The problem now is that -pthread is always given, even if ruby18 is
compiled without WITH_PTHREADS. After I moved:

CFLAGS+=${PTHREAD_CFLAGS}       # Keep this, else ruby will fail to load
LDFLAGS+=${PTHREAD_LIBS}         # libraries dependent op libpthread.

into the .if defined(WITH_PTHREADS) section, it works nice! Is there
a reason it's not in this section?

--- Makefile.old 2008-03-14 00:43:41.332681723 +0100 +++ Makefile 2008-03-14 00:43:44.569679442 +0100 @@ -55,12 +55,11 @@

PKGNAMESUFFIX= #empty

-CFLAGS+= ${PTHREAD_CFLAGS} # Keep this, else ruby will fail to load
-LDFLAGS+= ${PTHREAD_LIBS} # libraries dependent op libpthread.
-
.if defined(WITH_PTHREADS)
CONFIGURE_ARGS+=--enable-pthread
PKGNAMESUFFIX:= ${PKGNAMESUFFIX}+pthreads
+CFLAGS+= ${PTHREAD_CFLAGS} # Keep this, else ruby will fail to load
+LDFLAGS+= ${PTHREAD_LIBS} # libraries dependent op libpthread.
.else
CONFIGURE_ARGS+=--disable-pthread
.endif

Regards,