Re: [GSoC] the AMD64 port

From: "Simon 'corecode' Schubert" <corecode@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 22:00:01 +0100

Jordan Gordeev wrote:
1. Does porting require messing with the source code of gcc/binutils/gdb?

maybe. the basic infrastructure is in place however and also seems to be able to produce amd64 binaries of some sort.

2. Do I need to have an AMD64 machine with more than 4 GB RAM to be able to fully test my work?

I don't think so.

3. Would I be required to get 32-bit binaries working on 64-bit kernels or would being able to run 64-bit binaries suffice?

32bit binaries would be optional, but of course the design shouldn't obstruct them.

4. Is SMP part of the equation?

I'd say yes, but I don't think there is so much work to do.

5. In general, is there a fixed list of things that should be done, or am I free to choose based on my interests/abilitity?

"Make it work" definitely is on the list of things to be done. Apart from that you might be able to choose. I think the list of deliverables would have to be pinned down by you and your mentor.

cheers
  simon