[GSoC] the AMD64 port

From: Jordan Gordeev <jgordeev@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 22:36:32 +0200

I'm a student interested in doing the AMD64 port as a Google Summer of Code project.
I would like to have some questions answered, in order to be able to make an informed decision.
1. Does porting require messing with the source code of gcc/binutils/gdb?
2. Do I need to have an AMD64 machine with more than 4 GB RAM to be able to fully test my work?
3. Would I be required to get 32-bit binaries working on 64-bit kernels or would being able to run 64-bit binaries suffice?
4. Is SMP part of the equation?
5. In general, is there a fixed list of things that should be done, or am I free to choose based on my interests/abilitity?