Re: FreeBSD 7, DragonFly's status

From: Dave Hayes <dave@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 00:04:43 -0800

Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd120@gmail.com> writes:
> I'm still keeping an eye on DragonFly, and hope to run it again one of
> these days.  I think the biggest problem in FreeBSD that DragonFly
> fixes is attitude.

It's not a completely accurate answer, but "attitude" is certainly
sufficient in my book. I find your comment very appropriate.

In fact, a careful observer might find this as a primary reason people
are still using this system despite these apparent shortcomings of SMP,
64-bit, etc. In my experience, technical issues are much easier to fix
than collective attitudes. I think all DragonFly really needs is more
good developers, and this appears to be happening at the correct speed
to preserve the fresh attitude this community currently has.

As to the original posting, technical comparison is normally a good
thing. However:

"Dmitri Nikulin" <dnikulin@gmail.com> writes:
> I'm gravely concerned about the growth and survival of this brilliant
> project in the face of increasing pressure from projects with much
> larger developer communities and software ecosystems.

Exactly what pressure are you referring to here? :)
--
Dave Hayes - Consultant - Altadena CA, USA - dave@jetcafe.org

Every stick has two ends.