Re: Dragonfly Routers

From: "Justin C. Sherrill" <justin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 11:40:50 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, February 23, 2008 1:31 am, Adrian Chadd wrote:

> Thing is, there are people who report doing 10ge (almost) line rate 64
> byte pps on current PC hardware, with the "right" combination of PCIe,
> decent chipsets and crazy tuned forwarding code complete with
> prefetching.
>
> Its just not being done in open source.
>
> I've seen a few 10ge PC routers recently, which can do 10ge at 1500
> byte frames with out of the box Linux/FreeBSD. Its not that hard.

What was the hardware?

I'm actually looking at this at my workplace; a Soekris-based firewall
installed by a previous employee is becoming severely overtaxed as we've
added traffic.  I realize hardware-specific firewalls, routers, and
switches can offer better performance for comparable money... but it's not
as _fun_.