Re: Mounting dragonfly ufs in freebsd

From: Bill Hacker <wbh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 18:42:10 +0000

Jonas Trollvik wrote:
On 2/1/08, Chris Turner <c.turner@199technologies.org> wrote:

kind of a PITA, but if you can read 'a', you could keep 2 labels in
'a', and relabel it as required..

(as long as the label doesn't extend into the partition &
  hose things up ..)

if the filesystem is working, it's probably just the label that has
problems..

If you're just testing driver compatibility now & again,
I'd think that would might be good enough..

Yes this might work. Thanks for the tip.

Otherwise I'll have a look into how complicated the disklabel code is
to change in freebsd to see if I can change it to work like dragonfly

Regards
Jonas

Dunno if this *still* works - in fact I may be wrong that it *ever* did..but

ISTR that if I used FreeBSD 4.X to set up a disk, then DFLY *and* all versions of FreeBSD - 4.X and newer - could read the disklabel.

Subsequently, as we pull server HDD well before they fail, I've simply used separate surplus HDD.

For a laptop, of course, that would mean USB, FireWire, or such...

HTH,

BIll