Re: SMP question

From: "Simon 'corecode' Schubert" <corecode@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 10:53:22 +0100

Michael Neumann wrote:
Matthew Dillon wrote:
   I would like to revisit SMP but it isn't going to happen until HAMMER
   is well into production.  I try to encourage others to take up the SMP
   work but so far there's only been some minor poking around.

IMHO a first step would be to write down all the things that needs to be done to get SMP going.

SMP works, it just doesn't work with a high parallelism in the kernel.

It's just a question of removing the implicity dependence on the mplock for common code paths. So the only thing to be done is a) identify common code paths b) in those paths: either aquire the mplock or protect the data in a different way c) in other paths that deal with the same data, adjust accordingly. Easy huh? :)

My point is that this stuff is all over the place, starting from syscalls, going to VFS, VM and drivers.

cheers
  simon