Re: cvsup

From: "Simon 'corecode' Schubert" <corecode@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 23:45:40 +0100

Vincent Stemen wrote:
I was dismayed to discover that the BSD community (not just DragonFly)
has created such as dependency on a tool written in an obscure
problematic language such as Modula-3 that are not even easily ported to
platforms such as DragonFly, causing us to have to run a binary from
different platform after all this time.

Yes, not only you are upset about this.

I found csup, a cvsup replacement written in C, only to discover it
currently only supports what is called CVS mode, which means I cannot
use it to download/update the repository.

Plus there is do csupd, so for running a cvsupd, you're still stuck with m3.

There is cvsync, however. It only supports repo syncing (no checkout). But it is using a broken algorithm, which leads to RCS files being rearranged in a way that CVS can't use them (under certain conditions). The authors are aware of this (I told them), but didn't want to fix it.

Is the repository available via rsync and, if not, I am curious as to
why not?  Rsync is robust, popular, portable, and written in C.

Yes. There are a couple of mirrors which serve the cvs repo via rsync. For instance use chlamydia.fs.ei.tum.de. There are more, I guess.

Also, has anybody considered writing some front end scripts to rsync to emulate
the necessary features of cvsup?  I have found rsync to be very fast since it
efficiently only transfers what has changed.  I also do not see any reason for
the mirroring tool to need any knowledge of a specific repository type (e.g
cvs, svn, etc).  You are just mirroring files.

Rsync is very slow when you tag a repo, because all the files change, but only one line. It's not really optimized for this task. But this doesn't happen very often, though.

cheers
  simon