Re: Blacklisting (and blocking) remote sites - blt.tar.gz (0/1)

From: "David Frech" <nimblemachines@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 16:00:56 -0800

An easy solution to this problem (suggested by a friend of mine) is
simply to run sshd on a port other than 22.

Within hours of putting a machine on my DSL line it was hammered by
requests - someone from an IP in Moscow tried all day to get in. I'm
not worried about security - the box is set up for pubkey-only access
- but it *is* annoying getting huge log files, and knowing that lots
of cycles are getting used up.

If you don't have heaps of users (I have two ;-) it's quite easy for
them to set up entries in their .ssh/config files with the unusual
port number, so that ssh'ing in isn't annoying. In fact once set up
you don't even think about it any more.

Cheers,

- David

--
If I have not seen farther, it is because I have stood in the
footsteps of giants.