Re: Adding ad[4-6]s* to default devices

From: Bill Hacker <wbh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 02:06:56 -0400

Chris Turner wrote:
Any thoughts?

More systems are coming out with 2 controllers - a PATA and a SATA,
and as a result there might be more users using ad4 and so on..

Three or more is becoming more common now.

- legacy IDE / PATA in bridge chipset - vanilla as to (emulated) bus, addr, etc.

- SATA in bridge chipset - not all identical, but converging.

- second SATA in discrete IC - depends on maker.

Ex: recent 'commodity' Asus & Gigabyte when 6 or 8 SATA / e-SATA are furnished.

Not to mention add-in supplemental controllers....

I know there's the MAKEDEV.local hook, just thought I'd mention it since
I keep having having to remember to MAKEDEV on some my systems after
installing them. If OK I'll probably go ahead and make the change.

Thanks,
- Chris

No manual step needed 'ere on either of those cited, nor on older MB with one or more added PCI bus controllers.

Whatever DFLY used JFW'ed for me.

BIOS / PnP / ACPI / AHCI differences, perhaps?

Bill