Re: Licenses again...

From: Petr Janda <elekktretterr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 19:11:42 +1000

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 03:33:17 pm Matthew Dillon wrote:
>     Clearly the BSD license does not disallow the modifications made
>     by the second developer to be placed under some other license.
>     The BSD license only covers the BSD-licensed code.  The question is
>     how should a third party interpret the modified source file as a
>     whole?  I do not know the answer to that.

Thanks Matt for your explanation. I've always interpreted the BSD license
slightly differently.

"Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
modification, are permitted"

I've believed that Redistribution and Use are the permissions on the
code...what you can do with it. Nowhere does the BSD license say what you
can't do with the code, only what you can therefore 1) redistribute and 2)
use the code,. How that permits wrapping the code inside another license in
the same file.

Petr