Re: Naive question on brightness keys

From: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 20:12:07 +0200

On Wed, Aug 29, 2007 at 01:44:03PM -0400, Radu-Cristian FOTESCU wrote:
> --- Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@web.de> wrote:
> >
> > Because those aren't handled by any software. Nothing is eaten.
> > But nothing is provided either.
>
> I am sorry to be that stubborn, but "nothing is provided either" when at the
> boot loader's prompt, yet the key are working then!

At the boot prompt, the BIOS is still using the legacy configuration.

> But (wrt to the graphical table), note that *all* the Linux distros I tested,
> and also PC-BSD (I am not sure on NetBSD) were using ACPI too, and they were
> also (Linux) able to suspend to disk! In short, not using APM, yet working
> stuff.

It might have a specific ACPI EC controller. E.g. on Thinkpad's the
volume keys are handled via the EC as well. The suspend keys are now
translated into proper ACPI events, some others are handled in hardware.
Which are handled and which not is BIOS specific now.

Joerg