Re: DragonFly installation experience / suggestions

To: users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Michael Neumann <mneumann@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 21:33:36 +0200

Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
On Fri, Aug 10, 2007 at 01:43:33PM +0200, Michael Neumann wrote:
* In FreeBSD there is a /etc/rc.d/ipw script, that load the firmware
  into the driver (ipwcontrol -i ipw0 -f firmwarefile). IIRC,
  FreeBSD 7.0 will even include the firmware file and add a sysctl like
  "kern.license.ipw", which you have to set to agree the Intel license.
  It's very annoying to install a system, if this firmware is not
  shipped with the base system, as you need to get connected with a
  cable to fetch this firmware!

I'm not sure if anyone wants to fight with Intel long enough to get the rights for redistribution. I certainly don't want to.

Me too :)

* Would it be possible to preset the PKG_PATH to for example
  pkgsrc-box.org? This would make life much easier for beginners.

I object such a change. Really, take the 5min to figure out which mirror is nearest / fastest for you and take that.

Agreed. Should be provided in the installer (select pkgsrc mirror).

* After having added a lot of binary packages, I tried to install
  another one from source. This required libxml-someversion, which
  seemed to be already installed (by a binary package). Despite, it
  stopped and told me that I either should remove the package
  (pkg_delete) or that I should issue bmake replace. Oh, I did
  "bmake replace", and this first removed a few packages (my window
  manager and stuff like that!).

*What* did it tell you? The biggest reason is typically that the binary package is outdated and a newer reason is required for whatever reason. I also question that it told you to run "make replace", which does something quite different.

Sorry, you're right! It was a different version.

===> Installing for libxslt-1.1.21
ERROR: libxslt-1.1.20 is already installed - perhaps an older version?
ERROR: If so, you may use either of:
ERROR:     - "pkg_delete libxslt-1.1.20" and "/usr/pkg/bin/bmake
reinstall"
ERROR:       to upgrade properly
ERROR:     - "/usr/pkg/bin/bmake update" to rebuild the package and all
ERROR:       of its dependencies
ERROR:     - "/usr/pkg/bin/bmake replace" to replace only the package
without
ERROR:       re-linking dependencies, risking various problems.

* pkgsrc: If you install www/firefox from source, this will install
  firefox 2.x. If you do "pkg_add firefox", this will install
  firefox-15.

It shouldn't. You might have hit a temporary bug in pkg_install though.

* What would be really cool, if pkgsrc could mix binary and packages
  from source. So if I do "pkg_add thispackage", it tries to add all
  packages it can find as binary, the others it will build from source.
  The same if you do "bmake", given an option, it would first try to add
  binaries for all the dependencies.

DEPENDS_TARGET=bin-install

Set BINPKG_SITES similiar to PKG_PATH first.

I'll try that out. Thanks!

* Installing ipw-firmware, a message says to modify ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES
  accordingly in /etc/mk.conf. I do it, but the same message occurs,
  until I realize that there is /usr/pkg/etc/mk.conf that I have to
  modify.

Fixed.

Thanks.

Regards,