Re: mounting UFS from Linux

From: "Dmitri Nikulin" <dnikulin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 13:51:01 +1100

On 3/24/07, Guillermo García Rojas <garciarojas@solobsd.org> wrote:
What can I do to read those files?

I agree with Simon. Either normalize the uids+gids for users, or run as root. BSDs have a umapfs which allows remapping uids+gids in the kernel level for any base file tree, but I think Linux devs pretend this doesn't matter. Still, if you can't normalize the IDs then you can use umapfs on the BSD side. In DragonFly, umapfs was disabled while nullfs was broken, but I don't think it's been re-enabled yet. mount_umapfs isn't in DragonFly's online man system at all, even though that's what it was in FreeBSD:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=mount_umapfs&sektion=8&apropos=0&manpath=FreeBSD+6.2-RELEASE

---
Dmitri Nikulin

Centre for Synchrotron Science