Re: wiki log of #dragonfly irc channel

From: "Martin P. Hellwig" <mhellwig@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2007 10:12:43 +0100

Helge Rohde wrote:
<cut coercive detention>
Yes that's true but look on the bright side as long as you don't cooperate you're still not convicted, though you may still be rotting in a cell. The legal hook in this case is that they argue that they have strong suspicion on evidence present in the encrypted data and they hold you as long as they need to decrypt the data. Your own choice at that moment is, does it take them longer to decrypt by brute force then my sentence could be? If yes, well you know you go to jail but you probably get out being alive :-). On the other hand most things that are not illegal or immoral (which is a very stretchable state) but are private do have a tendency to lose their sensitive part over time.

But the thing I really want to know, is when you do cooperate and there is no evidence, how do they compensate your invasion on privacy, loss of freedom and being restrained from basic human rights?

--
mph