Re: 1.8.x: fdisk and disklabel fails to operate disk

From: Bill Hacker <wbh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 08:02:26 +0800

Tero Mäntyvaara wrote:
Hi!

I have used Linux. I managed to install 1.8.x to my system (in one
drive) and it boot as I expected. I headed to make my hard drive
mirrored,

'Mirrored' by which means, of the several available?

i.e. - are you on 'raw' ata / nata, 'psuedo-RAID' ata controller, 'raw' SCSI controller, 'hardware' RAID SCSI controller... or ... what?

NB: It sounds like the first, i.e. pure 'software' RAID1.. but it would help to have more information as what you where doing and at what point in the process it stalled.

Unlike WinWOES/Leenux, there DFLY has no 'tick the box' interface to RAID1 creation (AFAIK...).

;-)

> but both fdisk and disklabel said that both drives were not
configured. :-O

Tero Mäntyvaara

Been doing 'hardware' RAID since SMD/SCSI were 'new', 'software' RAID since MFM, RLL and GCR controllers were in use. Using SCSI RAID, atacontrol, and gmirror (FreeBSD) on everything but my personal PowerBook still yet...

Very often the setup is 'polite' w/r possibly overwriting precious data - i.e wants the drive that is to be added to the mirror set to be 'raw' - neither partitioned nor labeled *at all*.

IOW - it is about to duplicate the MBR, partitioning, and disklabel as well as the data. Or near-as-dammit, and will not over-write if such pre-exists.

Bill