Re: distributed filesystem name

From: "Dmitri Nikulin" <dnikulin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 15:15:16 +1100

On 2/22/07, Ben Jolitz <lordyoukai@gmail.com> wrote:
On the side, why can't  Fred eat a penguin? We could always put him
through an enlarge ray.

http://www.intuitor.com/moviephysics/mpmain.html#scaling

I like the name 'NymFS' except for the other words that stem from the 'nymph' root. Probably best to avoid dirty jokes.

"Can I use NymFS with an interface in promiscuous mode? Bwahaha"

Why do file systems always end in 'FS'? It's one of the very few
classes of software that almost universally has the same suffix. The
other would have to be 'sh' for any kind of shell or shell remoter.
Even ext2/ext3 are often named "extNfs", especially in BSD
implementations.

I guess you could give a nod to decades of BSD culture by including
UFS in the name somehow, like NUFS (say "NewFS") for "Networked Unix
File System". Not quite NFS or UFS, but still feels Unixy.

---
Dmitri Nikulin

Centre for Synchrotron Science
Monash University