Re: hardware compatibility - Nvidia SATA controller

From: "Nuno Antunes" <nuno.antunes@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 23:11:42 +0000

On 2/2/07, Jon Nathan <jon@rupture.net> wrote:
* Nuno Antunes <nuno.antunes@gmail.com> [02-02-2007 17:23]:

> On 2/2/07, Jon Nathan <jon@rupture.net> wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >I'm trying to install Dragonfly BSD 1.8 on a Dell XPS 600.  It has an
> >integrated Nvidia Nforce 4 Intel Edition SATA RAID Controller, but
> >Dragonfly can't find the hard disk attached to it.
> >
> >I looked for hardware compatibility lists, but couldn't find anything
> >referencing different SATA chipsets and what was supported.  Mailing
> >list searches seem to indicate that ATAng was not really implemented,
> >but that was a while ago:
> >
> >http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/mailarchive/kernel/2003-11/msg00043.html
> >
> >Any info on this chipset?  Thanks,
> >
> >-Jon
> >
> Hello Jon,
>
> Have you tried NATA?
>
> For NATA, add options PCI_MAP_FIXUP to your kernel, comment out the
> old ata devices, add device nata, device natadisk and device natapicd.
> Credits due to tgen@. :-)
>
> Cheers,
> Nuno

If this isn't in the kernel on the install CD, it's probably not much
use to me.

You seem to imply that ata and nata are mutually exclusive above.
Is this the case?  If not, is there a chance that nata could be
added to the kernel for future releases?

-Jon

Yes, i think NATA is mutually exclusive with ATA and it's not enabled by default. NATA is supposed to replace old ATA in the future when more testing is performed.

Nuno.