jail/virtual servers and multiple network interfaces

From: Jeffrey Williams <jeff@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 23:04:27 -0800

I regularly make use of jail in FreeBSD for hosting virtual servers (typically for application development and testing, and infrastructure server configuration testing).

One thing I have always found frustrating is the inability to set up a additional network interfaces on the machine so that they can be dedicated to the jailed servers, in such a way that all the host's network traffic stays on the primary interface, and all the jail's network traffic uses its own dedicated interface. i.e. a virtual network stack, for the jailed server, that can be bound directly to a separate NIC than the one used by the host environment.

I did read a 2003 Usenix white paper by Marko Zec on this topic(http://www.usenix.org/events/usenix03/tech/freenix03/full_papers/zec/zec_html/index.html), but have not found any mature implementations.

Anyways, I was curious if this type of functionality is being implemented, or in consideration for implementation, in DragonFlyBSD?

Thanks
Jeffrey Williams