Re: updating packages

From: walt <wa1ter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 05:38:34 -0800

Huub wrote:

>> Beware though that it can leave some of your packages non-working. If
>> I'm not confusing this with something else what bmake upgrade does is
>> to deinstall all packages and then reinstall the new versions. Should
>> the build of the first package fail then it will abort and you'll be
>> left with fewer packages than you had (all those that was going to be
>> updated are gone).
>>

> After some consideration I decided to go for pkg_chk -g/-r/-a.
> Unfortunately, it look like I'm getting stranded at thunderbird:
>
> make[3]: Leaving directory
> `/usr/obj/pkgsrc/mail/thunderbird/work/mozilla/toolkit/components/build'
> make[3]: write error

I recognize that 'write error' as an old bug which was fixed months ago.

I can't remember at the moment what the fix was :o( but the answer is
buried in the mail-list archives.  I seem to recall that the bug was
actually in the DF system somewhere(?) so the solution (I think) would
be to use a newer version of DF.  What version of DF are you running?

Easier thing to try first would be to make sure you are running the
latest versions of gmake (but I think that turned out not to be the
problem after all).