Re: help over "rsync vs cvsupd perfmance"

From: Erik Wikström <erik-wikstrom@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 00:32:14 +0100

On 2006-12-25 20:43, Justin C. Sherrill wrote:
On Mon, December 25, 2006 10:12 am, Saverio Iacovelli wrote:
I find, in the DragonFly project page, the following
matter:

- Benchmark rsync vs. cvsupd for getting source code
updates

Ok, I would like to test benchmark, but I need help to
choose software for benckmarking and help to formulate
test cases.

Someone has suggestions?

I think I was the one who came up with that idea. Testing it would be relatively simple. Set up two machines, networked together. Set up cvsupd and rsyncd on one machine, both using the same files as a repository. (all of DragonFly src would bet a good example) On the other machine, bring all those files down with rsync, and time how long it takes. Delete the files, and do it again with cvsup. Repeat both a few times just in case something happens to change the numbers during a run.

Perhaps it should be included in the test an "incremental" update, like you have the code for DFly 1.6-RELEASE and update those to latest PREVIEW. I think this is a quite common scenario, probably more common (and thus important), than starting from scratch.

--
Erik Wikström