Process for patch/build/install/modify/rebuild/reinstall

From: fake@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 22:29:53 -0500

Greetings,

I'm trying to make some code changes in the i810 X server version 6.9.0nb13 because of breakage. I'm trying to find the best/fastest way to:
1. modify code
2. build and install
3. test
4. uninstall
5. goto 1.

This is the slow process I've been using:
Modified mk.conf so only i810 X server is built
# cd /usr/pkgsrc/x11/xorg-server
Used pkgsrc to get sources
# bmake fetch-list | sh

1. modify code
# bmake patch
I'm assuming this applies DragonFly patches to the Xorg sources. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Make changes in /usr/pkgsrc/x11/xorg-server/work

2. build and install
# bmake install

3. test

4. uninstall
# bmake deinstall
# bmake clean

5. goto 1.

At first I thought I could modify code in the work directory and run bmake from /usr/pkgsrc/x11/xorg-server, but that didn't work. Please enlighten me with a better way.

Thanks in advance!

P.S.
I use vi and am learning cscope without X. What non-X tools do other people use for source code browsing?