Re: mailserver using dfbsd

From: Bill Hacker <wbh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 00:25:20 +0800

Matthew Dillon wrote:

:Hi,
:
:I'm going to install dragonflybsd on two mail server proxies: primary and secondary MX with milter-greylist on.
:I need to share greylist data on both of them, I can do it using a dbms and I'll modify milter source code to store
:such data in dbms instead RAM.
:
:Are there more efficient features on dfbsd to share (or exchange) such greylist data from primary and secondary host?
:Best regards,            \fer
:--
:NonSoLoSoft - http://www.nonsolosoft.com/

    I don't think you can safely update a dbms database file shared via NFS,
    if that's what you intend to do.

    What I recommend is that you simply make one machine the master and have
    a cron job on the secondary machinepull the greylist from the primary
    machine once an hour.  Something like (in csh)

(cron job script on secondary machine)

#!/bin/csh
rm -f greylist.new
fetch -q -o greylist.new ftp://primary.machine/hidden-location-of-greylist (or http://)
if ( $status == 0 ) then
mv -f greylist.new greylist.db
# be quiet if everything succeeded so no cron mail is generated
else
echo "Secondary machine unable to pull greylist from primary machine"
endif
-Matt
Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

This really isn't a DragonFly-specific issue...

But if greylisting is to work, it needs data updating capability at sub-one-minute intervals.

Not that it matters.

Many spam engines and zombies are programmed to defeat greylisting, unless already blocked by other means.

As they should be. Most alternatives are more effective and don't need the overhead OR the DB of greylisting.

Bill