Re: boot problem, disk mess.. thinking of suicide.

From: Erik Wikström <erik-wikstrom@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 15:15:22 +0200

4$0$786$415eb37d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <9401072f0609280518n5c6d6f74gca37c5b186393b73@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

On 2006-09-28 14:18, Vladimir Mitiouchev wrote:
> 28 Sep 2006 11:41:59 GMT, Oliver Fromme <check+j6auf200rs4zrznn@xxxxxxxxxx>:
>> However, fsck can neither detect nor repair any damage in
>> the contents of files.
> So, do You have any simple ideas how to detect damage in files?
> Checksums, or sth? Something simple and working. And automagic ;-) Is
> there any solutions? Fast and reliable? If not, maybe i should write
> one? Something like background checking of checksums after fsck, and
> doing such checksums for any data written to disk.. But should I
> integrate it into filesystem? Or that's stupid?

I believe that tripwire and other IDS uses checksums to detect when
files change. What you could do is that after you make a backup you
calculate checksums for all files and store them away somewhere, they
you can easily (though time-consuming) check for files that have changed
since last backup. I suppose that you could make an app that runs as
daemon checking the files, perhaps you can even get some notification
from kernel when files change. What would have been really nice in this
situation is ZFS, which has built-in checksums.

--
Erik Wikström