Re: Bridging again

From: Bill Hacker <wbh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 05:01:11 +0800

Gergo Szakal wrote:

Followed the advice here:
http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/mailarchive/users/2006-05/msg00148.html
and tried to pass thru the traffic of the whole dormitory but it does not seem to pass packets (even with PF disabled). With OpenBSD 3.8, I have done the same (/etc/bridgename.bridge0 and same PF configfile) and it works fine, bu I would like to run DragonFly. :-)
Can somebody recommend diagnostic steps or give me some hints?
Thanks, and sorry for bothering. ;-)

If you are going to pass *all* the traffic, what is wrong with a bit of CAT5 and a dumb hub?

;-)

(ducks and waddles off a few meters...)

OK - do you mean to:

- route, NAT, DHCP share a connection for (all those folks)?

- firewall/filter for them?

- proxy some service(s)?

- electronically vampire-tap their traffic?

Or what?

FWIW, a 'bridging' arrangement is often one of the hardest-working ways to do several of these things for the value-add, so is 'bridging' really what you need?

i.e. - what is the intended service?

YMMV

Bill