Re: Hints on kernel config for a dula pII/450 system anyone?

From: Oliver Fromme <check+j5sl7l00rsqdwp8o@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 18 Sep 2006 15:11:11 GMT

Bill Hacker wrote:
 > But I *still* say it is 'not kind' to the DFLY project - already struggling with
 > scant resources and tough goals, to distract or sidetrack it even a little bit
 > to chase aging hardware flakiness - especially when there are other usable OS
 > that can make good use of that hardware w/o any work.

I don't follow "aging hardware flakiness".  Said Pentium-75
of mine is certainly not top-notch hardware (by today's
standards anyway), but it's rock-stable, and uses only
completely standard components (intel CPU, BX chipset etc).
An OS that claims to support the i386 platform should run
on it, otherwise I'd call that a bug that needs to be fixed.

That's even more valid for the Pentium-II-450 that started
this thread.  Or for the Pentium-III-800 of my spare laptop.
Or any other non-highend hardware.

 > Let's keep out of the core DFLY team's way so they can get the basics done,
 > demo'ed, and publicized FIRST.

Running on a Pentium-II machine I would call "basics".
Supporting standard i386 hardware is very important for a
project like DragonFly.  The more hardware it runs on, the
more users will be able to give it a try, and the more
feedback (and more valuable feedback) the project will
receive.

 > The 'clear and present danger' is loss of momentum. Note the gradual reduction
 > in posts here to the d.kernel list, for example.

I don't see that DF is losing momentum, and the number of
posts in the kernel list shouldn't be taken as a sign for
that, I think.

In fact, it is my impression that DF is moving faster than
ever.  The current development of virtual kernel support
is very exciting.  Matt is doing a tremendous job, and that
vkernel feature will really be a highlight of the upcoming
release.  I believe it will cause quite a stir among the
BSDs.  Also, DF has already quite some excellent developers,
for example look at Sephe's efforts in the networking area.

Best regards
   Oliver