Re: bsdstats.org

From: Garance A Drosihn <drosih@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 17:29:32 -0400

At 9:06 PM +0200 9/11/06, Simon 'corecode' Schubert wrote:
Garance A Drosihn wrote:
I'm content with the post-install "Would you like to submit your
information" question.  I don't know why on Earth this script has
to be put in periodic though.  What am I missing?
The idea is to track how many machines are actively running *BSD.
If all we know is that you installed *BSD last month, then we have
no idea if you're still running it this month.

actually, these numbers won't be accurate. Just take a office machine running *bsd: periodic won't run if the box is shut down every evening. i think there is a need for some sophistication.

I'm sure we'll find many good ideas which need to be included in the stats script, as we get more experience with it. I expect that Marc will be busy writing updates for many months to come... :-)

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad@xxxxxxxxxxx