Re: users as blobs

From: Bill Hacker <wbh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 10:57:11 +0800

Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
By contrast, *n*x is often irritating in that one can be sitting in the same dir as a given binary, but if it is not on the PATH, still have to prepend at least a './' - if not the entire path - in order to invoke said binary.

Even CP/M or DOS ain't *that* picky!

Append . to your PATH.

(Search about security issues with dot in the execution path. Make some trojan tools with common typos and misspellings as filenames and wait for a superuser to make a typo while in the directory you put the file. And never put the dot early in your PATH.)

Thanks for reminding me why I *don't*.. (put the '.' in the path...)

;-)

But I stand on the convenience of path-independent local-first & local-subtree search, per ancient Netware.

That can also make it *very* easy for an app to insyall cleanly, and/or keep its dependencies & modules aloof from other rev-levels, libs, etc.

Bill